Serving the Triad and Beyond

NC Marriage License

 In the State of North Carolina, couples apply for a marriage license by visiting the county clerk's office also called the Register of Deeds.

Some counties in NC have websites that allow couples to apply for the license online.  However, even with an online application, both bride and groom must then present themselves in person for the license to be issued. See below to apply online

Once the license is obtained, the marriage may be performed anywhere in the State. 

Most County Clerk's offices are open Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:30 and 4:30 excluding county holidays.   When you apply for the license, proof of identification and verification of a valid social security number are required.

Costs vary from County to County.  Only cash is accepted. 

The license is good upon issuance and valid for 60 days.  

 Proof of identification for brides and grooms over the age of 21 may be one of the following:

  • A current Driver's license or State Issued ID Card

  • A Current Passport

  • A Current Military ID

  • A Certified Birth Certificate 

NC law requires all applicants to show proof of a valid social security number.  Applicants can provide verification of their SSN by showing their Social security card, a W-2 form, or a pay stub displaying their number.  If the applicant isn't eligible for a SSN, an affidavit may be used.

After the Wedding:

 Once the ceremony is over, the officiant/minister will send the witnessed and signed license back to the Registrar of Deeds office for filing.  Couples should wait 10 days after the ceremony to request a certified copy of the license. The request can be in person or in writing.  The cost of the certified copy is $10.  Once a certified copy is obtained, it may be used a documentation for a legal name change with the Department of Motor Vehicles and Social Security Administration.

Other Important Information:

-Persons need not be residents of North Carolina to get married in North Carolina.

-No blood work or physical is required.

-Divorced applicants must provide the month and year of their last divorce.  Some counties may request a copy of their divorce decree.

 -For applicants under 20 years of age, the proof of date of birth is not an option, but required. 

Registrar of Deeds Offices


Christina Mathews - 336-705-3239

Facebook instagram Pinterest
Welcome   |   Officiating Services   |   CEREMONY ENHANCEMENTS   |   MARRIAGE LICENSE INFORMATION   |   Meet Us   |   Event Services   |   Portfolio   |   Blog   |   Minted Weddings   |   Connect
All Rights Reserved 2020, A Beautiful Day by Christina - Admin Login   |   Web Design by Alt Media Studios